On Saturday, June 8, Five WCPC members were able to attend what we hope will be one of many photo outings for our club.
Our destination this day was a Victorian Lawn Party at the Historic R. D. Hubbard House in Mankato. On our way south, Bev, Judy, Terry and Marilyn stopped off at the lovely Gustavus Adolphus College Arboretum to photograph their gardens and then stopped in St. Peter for a quick lunch at the River Rock Coffee House. Linda was going to meet us in Mankato, but unfortunately, she arrived about the time we had disappeared indoors for a house tour, so we only managed to meet up briefly at the end of our visit.
R. D. Hubbard, the founder the Hubbard Milling Company (remember Mother Hubbard flour?) built the house in 1871 and it is considered one of the finest examples of
Victorian architecture in Minnesota. Tours of the house started in an adjoining 1890 carriage house containing a collection of horse-drawn carriages and memorabilia from the Victorian era and the Hubbard family. All the rooms are furnished and richly decorated much as it would have been when the Hubbards lived there.
Volunteers wearing Victorian costumes and playing old-fashioned lawn games and gorgeous gardens in full bloom offered an abundance of photo opportunities on a beautiful summer’s day. The photos shown were taken by Beverly Hawkins, Judy Lathrop and Marilyn Victor